11/18/2008

A.M.O.R.

This is a short story I had to write for my Spanish class... We had to write about a science-fiction invent and describe its aim.
The story was written in Spanish, but I'm leaving both English and Spanish versions.

A.M.O.R.
De chico, siempre me dijeron 'feo'. Cada vez que me cruzaba a una chica, ésta me daba la espalda deliberadamente y se alejaba de mí. Debo admitir que mi soledad, más que nada, se debía a mi preferencia por los libros de ciencia a las personas. No sabía nada de relaciones con los demás, pero era un experto en inventos, matemáticas y sobre todo, ciencia. De modo que por doce días y doce noches, me encerré en mi laboratorio, dispuesto a crear la máquina que me librara de mi situación.
Reconozco que al principio no tenía mucha idea de qué hacer con tantos tubos y palanquitas, pero luego ordené mis pensamientos y pude llevar a cabo la invención de mi salvación: una máquina extraordinaria, parecida a una radio, que me diría qué hacer.
Así que llamé a mi vecina de al lado, de quien había estado siempre secretamente enamorado, para probar mi creación. Me coloqué el auricular inalámbrico y golpeé a su puerta. Luego de varios intentos, y gracias a mi hermano, a quien había telefoneado previamente, logré invitarla a cenar, llevando siempre conmigo a mi fiel A.M.O.R., como lo había llamado (Aparato Multifunción Organizador de Relaciones). De más está decir que la cita fue un total fracaso. En ese momento no contaba con el conocimiento de lo que ahora sé: el amor no es ni racional ni una ciencia, por lo tanto, es una batalla en la que no se puede contar con más armas que la propia personalidad.
En cuanto a Romina, mi vecina de al lado, ya no conserva su apellido de soltera, sino que lleva el mío. Y todo se lo debo a mi querido A.M.O.R., quien me hizo darme cuenta de que para el verdadero amor no hay que ser un experto, sólo ser uno mismo.

L.O.V.E.
When I was a kid, they used to call me 'ugly'. Everytime I came across a girl, she would deliberately give me her back and walk away. I have to admit that my loneliness, more that anything, was due to my preference for Science books to people. I knew nothing about realting to others, but I was an expert about inventions, Maths, and, above all, Science. So for twelve days and twelve nights I locked myself up in my laboratory, longing to create the machine that would free me from my situation.
I admit that when I started, I didn't have know exaclty what to do with so many tubes and bars, but then I organised my thoughts and could carry out the invention of my salvation: an extraordinary machine, similar to a radio, that would tell me what to do.
So I called my nextdoor neighbour, with whom I had always been secretly in love, to try my creation. I placed my wireless earphone on my ear and knocked on her door. After various attemps, and with my brother's help, whom I had previously phoned, I could aks her out, always taking my faithful L.O.V.E., how I had called it (Logic Ornament Visible in Ear). There's no need to say the date was a total frustration. In that moment I didn't know what I know now: love is neither rational nor a science, therefore, it's a battle in which you count with no weapons but the own personality.
In regards to Romina, my next-door neighbour, she doesn't have her maiden name anymore, she has mine. And I owe everything to my beloved L.O.V.E., that made me realise that for true love you don't need to be an expert, just to be yourself.


Note from the author: The story is kinda silly, but as I had it already typed on the computer, I decided to post it.
Sorry if there are too many mistakes, translating isn't as easy as writing. However, I tried to translate it the best I could, following very carefully every word and looking for the ones I didn't know... I tried to put the exact words in English, but I did what I could do...
Hope you've liked it!

2 comentarios:

  1. Hey, MJ. One thing that makes writing more interesting is varying your sentence structure. Ask a question or make an exclamation every now and then. In English, most sentences are Subject-Noun + Predicate-Verb. I like starting sentences with introductory phrases or dependent clauses every now and then to make things more interesting. Here's an example. I'll put a [] at around each sentence that has a different beginning.

    I like the book, "Looking for Bird in the Big City." Have you ever read it? It's about Miles Davis learning to play jazz music from Charlie Parker. [When only 18 years old, Miles moved to NYC to follow Charlie's career.] [After weeks of searching, he found Charlie playing at the Three Deuces club.] Miles got to play an impromptu solo with the band. [My friend, that must have been an exciting time!]

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hey MJ...I like the idea of the story, but I think that more description of what this "invention" is that you are talking about would help the reader to really get into the story. I am very impressed though with your English skills . You are from Argentina? Where? I wanted to thank you so much for all of your amazingly nice comments about my writing. I truly appreciate it, it is people like you that are great motivators.

    ResponderEliminar